Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Consent Culture In Everyday Terms

This one is a little older, but it's still worth talking about. Lindy Hopper Problems isn't a feminist blog, nor is it serious cultural commentary. It's a bunch of gif jokes about swing dancing. That makes their post on consent culture that much more important.

Mind you, "consent" is never used in the post. Instead we have:

I only say yes to a dance if I have a really good reason. My good reasons include: “I really want to dance with the person asking me.”
I could turn down every single request to dance, and you still don’t get to judge me for it. I don’t attend events for the benefit of other people. I go because I want to. I sit down because I want to. I dance because I want to.

Or, to rephrase using consent culture terms, asking for a dance is asking for consent. You always have the right (and the privilege) to say no to a dance. That decision should be respected and it should not be judged.

Read the full post here.

3 comments:

  1. All actions have consequences. If you, for example, often turn down lots of people for dances, the consequences will probably include those people not asking you to dance in the future. If that's the consequence you want, great. If not then you don't have cause to feel bad about their "judging" you by not subjecting themselves to likely rejection, because that's what *they* want to do.

    Obviously that's a boundary case, but it's not a hypothetical case; some people do behave this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If someone is turning down the majority of dances, they're something else going on. Maybe they're injured, maybe they're new, maybe they're just an ass who only dances with the Cool Kids. But judge them for why they're turning down the dance, not the simply fact that they're turning people down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If someone is turning down the majority of dances, they're something else going on. Maybe they're injured, maybe they're new, maybe they're just an ass who only dances with the Cool Kids. But judge them for why they're turning down the dance, not the simply fact that they're turning people down.

    ReplyDelete